Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Times of Rest

I want the world to be still and time to stop.
 I would like to be quiet, wrapped in the ocher, umber and rusts of the retreating fall.  I want to sit beneath the willow and wait for the world to fall asleep so that I may hear the soft whispers of peace.    
 I would make myself small and sit beneath this tree wrapped in a cloak of light as darkness falls tucked safely amongst its roots beneath its leaves as an acorn would be where no one could find me. There I would listen to the earth and stars and I would be still and whole. Sienna’s and brilliant yellows would give way to bare sleeping branches and the ground would begin to freeze, and I would not. I would be so still that I could hear the owl’s heart beat and know that you are near.
I want to walk silently alone in falling snow so softly that I could hear the sound of each flake falling to rest on ground beneath my feet.
It is winter in my heart. I see it now when I blink my eyes. It is silent and magnificent. I see it looking down as with hawk eye appreciating every small grace and gift as I silently glide by. Winter is restful and a time to restore our spirits and take stock of our progress. I understand that though there may be no green or life signs showing, every seed has been sown and every bud is waiting to emerge perfect and complete beneath crystal ice forms. I now have faith in natures promise.
I recall moments of this fleeting faith when I was a child looking straight up to heaven with my eyes wide, mouth open and I would feel joy at the soft cool kiss of flakes on my face. I now recall and I thank you for giving me this body and this space and I bow to your grace in utter gratitude and awe. And it is silent…
I understand it is a time to listen more than speak. In my ear I can hear wild crows call. It comes in from the right and resonates in my chest like a drum, we are now one. When I breath in wings expand, breathing out they contract. It is a rhythm; it is the same rhythm of all life force energy. In and out…In and out. Wake and rest... Wake and rest.  Only in times of solitude can we truly connect with and appreciate the solidarity of all creatures of this life. Without this base understanding we miss the one true reality…We are all one. We all march to the same drum.. in and out, rest and wake…bump bump….bump bump…bump bump.

No comments:

Post a Comment